10/6/08

Emma Bunton: Daily Mail Interview (October 2008)

Here is an interview that Emma recently did with the Daily Mail in th UK, discussing motherhood and her life with Jade.

Beau's just turned one. How has being a mother changed you?
Having a child is the best thing I've ever done. When I walk into Beau's nursery and see his smile, it's like Christmas all over again.

He has changed everything because it's not about me any more. The other night, Jade and I were getting ready to go to a glitzy awards do.

Pre-baby, we'd have had the music cranked up and have been swigging champagne, but there we were singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to Beau and worrying about what time my mum would arrive to babysit. We were laughing about how times had changed.

So are you ready for number two?
I'm really looking forward to having more children - but not just yet as I'm enjoying this time with Beau.It's important to enjoy the moment and not always be rushing on to the next thing, especially because, for a long time, I thought I might never be a mum.

When I was 25, I was diagnosed with endometriosis [a condition that can make it difficult to conceive]. It scared the life out of me.
What about marriage then?
It's not on the agenda; we don't even talk about it. We've been together for ten years and we're so close - we share the childcare rather than have a nanny so we're often together 24/7.

I can honestly say that we're really happy, so we don't feel the need to formalise it.

Once Mel C's had her baby, you will all be Spice Mummies. Does that finally spell the end for the group?
I think so. We're all in our 30s now and, let's face it, by then most people aren't doing the same thing they were when they were 18, which is how old I was when I first met the girls. I'm ready to move forward.
Will you all stay in touch though?
Absolutely. I rang Mel C recently to congratulate her on her pregnancy, and we all keep in touch by text, especially on the kids' birthdays.We have our own lives and are busy as individuals, but we all know that there will never be any other friends who experienced what we did together, and that creates a huge bond.

Do you still see the friends you made before the Spice Girls?
Definitely. I've known my oldest friend since I was four and I am godmother to her son. I'm still in touch with people from primary school, too, and friends I made when I was a teenager.

That is so important because they know you for you. These days, I'm pretty careful about who I have around me. That's partly because of what I do, but also because I think you become more cautious as you get older.

At 16, you hang out with a massive crowd, but, as the years go by, you end up with a handful of people you really trust and value.

Talking of getting older, does ageing bother you?
No, because I'm enjoying this period of my life so much. Some days, I look in the mirror and go 'Blurgh', but I try not to put too much pressure on myself - there's plenty of other people who do that.

I just hope I can grow old gracefully, without resorting to surgery, but who knows? I don't think there's anything wrong with improving yourself. Because I smile a lot, I've got lines around my eyes. But I hate injections.
Have you learnt to love your curves?
I remember going through a phase of not wanting to go out in case I was pictured from a bad angle. But now I am with someone who really loves me for who I am, I don't care, and I feel pretty lucky.

What is your next challenge?
I am presenting a new variety show called For One Night Only on ITV. It's going out prime-time on Sunday nights, so I'm very nervous.

But the adrenaline helps you perform better, and I always enjoy being thrown in at the deep end. I'd like to do more presenting, but it would have to be in this country.

I've done a few auditions in the US, but I feel so settled in the UK and I don't want to uproot the family. I'm such a London girl. Beau sees his grandparents every day and I wouldn't want to change that. It's certainly no secret either that Jade and I have always wanted a restaurant of our own, so who knows what the future might hold?

Are you saying women can have it all?
It's hard to juggle, but it can be done. For every working mother, there's this scary moment where you've got to put yourself back out there once you've had your baby.

For me, it was tough going on tour three months after having Beau, and I don't think I would put myself through that again. But that said, I was lucky in that Beau could come with me, so I didn't have separation anxiety.

Any guilty pleasures to confess?
A packet of cheese and onion crisps and a big glass of Coke with ice and lemon. You can't beat it. I'm not a big drinker, but I'm partial to a really good Bellini, although it has to be made with fresh peach juice.

Who would play you in a film of your life?
Drew Barrymore. I love her: she's vivacious, fun, honest, and a bit curvy, like me.

No comments: